Nine days and counting…to the last day of school, not including the weekends. As folks in my circle, both students and staff would say…but who’s counting?….WE ALL ARE! Love my job but knowing that it’s almost time to call it feels so good. I have this ritual as the weeks count down. I keep a list on my nightstand of the things I want to attempt, places I want to visit, and experiences I want to experience between the last day of school and the first day back. I still have some leftovers from last year but they actually don’t go bad and I roll them into this year’s list and my success rate of accomplishing is usually +/- 80%.
Most of the list involve solitary pursuits. It’s not to be unfriendly, as I consider myself to be social most of the time, but part of recharging my own batteries, is knowing that doing things on my own will make me far more pleasant to be around overall. In a helping profession, this is considered the “me first” remedy. Some of the things under consideration might seem off beat, but that is for others to judge and me to find out. I thought I would share some of them. Here goes and they are in no particular order:
- Find foods to turn into dyes to paint. I am curious about condiments and whether doing this will be disgusting or interesting. Dijon vs yellow?
- Try to find my pen pal from when I was ten. Elizabeth Feijoo of Manila, The Phillipines….if you’re reading this, you’ll save me a lot of research. Please write back.
- Getting my German Passport, since my parents were both born there and had to leave before WWII, I am entitled to have dual citizenship and my sister and I have decided to look into this as it is something we can pass down to our children. Unclear if my FHB would be able to access this through me. Could raise some interesting conversations.
- Read Moby Dick. Have avoided this for many years. Can’t live in New Bedford where it was written and not say you’ve read it. It’s time.
- Go to the JFK Presidential Library in Boston to celebrate his 100th birthday. You can go online and sign a card. Did that. Want to remember the good and not the tragedy.
- Want to go and see the St. Lawrence River and Seaway and see how the locks work. It’s probably dorky but I’ve been curious so time for a road trip.
- Try grilled tuna and/or swordfish. I’ve had swordfish a few times and I didn’t like it but something tells me it was supposed to taste better than it was. Never had tuna other than out of a can. Seems like an adult food to consider.
- See if my FHB and I can try a week of vegan clean eating. Not sure if that will be before or after #7.
- Try doing shibori, the Japanese art of tie dying. (hold over from last summer). Bought the supplies and they stare at me.
- Get my car detailed. Never buy a light color interior. Even water stains.
- Swim in the ocean. It has been too long and I want to remember how much I love to swim. Planning not to drown.
- Visit Lizzie Borden’s house. Fall River is just down the road. I want to see if I get creeped out.
- See a couple of sunrises.
I’ll keep you all in the loop. Enjoy your weekend. Make your own list.