Tiny house, big dreams


I promised a story about a tiny house. It will be a short story since it is way past my bedtime and I need my sleep before I greet November.  Living in a loft is a unique experience with 18 foot ceilings and large open space where we decide how to arrange our furniture and make different areas out of one large one.  And yet, we have been curious about what it would be like to live in a “tiny house”.  My FHB and I  have read and seen a lot of building of tiny houses and wondered how people can go from conventionally large houses to something compact without killing one another because there is just nowhere to go and that raises the question of where you store the body.   It is still  Halloween and I am capitalizing on the gore.  Sorry.  The idea of downsizing to something the size of our current bedroom never really was a consideration but the opportunity to spend a night in one really captured our interest.

We like to explore New England in fall since it is known for it’s amazing foliage. Despite a rainsoaked drive to Vermont, we were able, several weekends ago, to arrange to stay in a tiny house.  We had no expectations and through the website where we found the house,  we communicated with the owner via email and the only rule she stated was that we needed to remove our shoes inside because the floors were soft pine.  That seemed a reasonable request.  We GPSed the directions and through rain and snowflakes we found our way to a residential neighborhood with pretty ordinary houses and then we heard our virtual GPS lady state “You have arrived at your destination!” in that oh so cheery, annoying voice.  After deactivating that voice, we saw in front of us a very cute, albeit small structure. Through the rain we saw a brightly colored entrance and we got out of our car and walked toward the door.  There was a short stairway ,of the temporary kind that had clearly been put there three years ago, when the house was placed at this location. It had no railing or supports and just sort of leaned into the structure.  It was now pouring and very, very cold.  There was no scurrying into the house because first I had to find the key, which I had been told via email, was left under a rock next to the steps.  Lots of rocks to turn over.  I was not amused. I was now quite wet and irritated.  The last rock (is not this always the way) was the one under which the key was placed. I gingerly stepped up the stairs and put the key in the door and was ready to take the final step into this experience when I realized that I would have to belay myself into the house, since it was about, at minimum, a 16 inch climb up and into the doorway.  I was even less amused at this point.  I am short and not athletic and now there was a problem.  My  six foot tall FHB suggested that he bend over and I should climb up using his back as leverage.  That was not even in the realm of possibilities because I am too much of a klutz to figure out how to begin to convince myself that I wouldn’t break my neck.  I was able to finally seat myself in the entry and swing myself around and crawl to stand. It was not pretty. I was always afraid on the monkey bars.  My FHB was able to step the last step and we were in the house.

Two hundred and fifty square feet is not much and yet this place, once you got inside was magical.  It was designed in the shape of a check mark, with the larger area including the living room and kitchen combination, and the smaller end up two steps (more steps, of course) to the bedroom.  In between, a few steps from the entry was the bathroom which was about ten feet long and four feet wide with what is called a “wet bath” with stainless walls and a rainshower head.  The ceilings were about ten feet high throughout (maybe less in the bedroom) so you had the sense of spaciousness.  The kitchen had a refrigerator, small stove top and microwave.  The cabinets reached to the ceiling providing storage.  Lots of windows brought in light and skylights in the bath and livingroom area also created a feeling of space.  The bedroom had  a murphy bed which was down and in place for sleeping and lots of storage and a window seat.  There were lots of places for each of us to sit and be alone, if we chose.  It was neither confining or claustrophobic.  It was pretty fantastic.  We also found a back door that had a few steps to solid ground that make leaving much easier.  We stayed less than 24 hours but it was a very positive experience.  It was comfortable, cozy and well designed.  Despite the moat like entry,  we left with the idea that you can have bits and pieces and tastes of new experiences.  Trying new things allows you to satisfy your curiosity.  With our past experience of staying in an Airstream to the tiny house, can a yurt be in our future?  Who’s to say.

The witching hour is almost over.  Time to put the broom away for another year.  Hope your day was full of treats and not tricks.  Have a great week.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s